Pro Bono Time
over 3 months
HandsOn Tech is excited to be recruiting nonprofits and skill-based volunteers for database consulting projects. This is a good opportunity for those wishing to bolster their experience working on live corporate databases managing data and developing APIs and GUIs to get relevant experience. Below you will find project information, deliverables and prerequisites.
Projects such as these, could entail any of the following:
- Assessing nonprofit database needs.
- Installing, modifying, customizing, or implementing a database or database solutions for nonprofits.
- Helping nonprofit staff implement database plans.
- Training nonprofit staff on database solutions.
- Being available for technical support.
Database solutions vary based upon server/database, field, and programming language. Applicants are welcome to let us know your particular expertise and we will direct you to a nonprofit project that suits your skills and abilities. Occasionally, a given program will not have a person skilled in a certain field and will seek to train a suitably qualified database consultant provided they are willing and interested in the project. Many of our nonprofits are involved in the medical, mental health, inter-government, ¬†or community assistance fields.
- Implementing, modifying, customizing, or integrating a nonprofit client database to better meet their needs.
- This may involve customizing fields, tracking, developing and modifying searches, creating tools or reports, coding, or general database management.
- Training for designated staff member and/or new volunteers on database changes.
- “Hand-off” documentation on new database changes and custom code.
- Organization readies a list of changes needed in a given database.
- Professional and designated staff member meet. Professional collects necessary about the current database challenges. The professional proposes suitable changes to meet those needs and are agreeable to the organization.
- Organization and Professional agree on the changes as well as¬†necessary¬†training.
- Professional conducts a complete change in the database resulting in seamless migration into the current database.
- Professional and staff member carefully check for errors.
- Professional trains 1 designated staff person on the new database changes.
- Organization thoroughly tests the solution and provides feedback to the professional.
- Professional responds to the feedback and fixes bugs. Note: Professional is not responsible for major design or architectural changes outside the initial scope of work.
- Organization uses the database and new changes for three weeks and may contact the professional for bug fixes and small feature adjustments (eg. an extra editable field, a change to a report) during this period.
- At project completion, Professional delivers a “handoff” document to Organization.
- Organization completes HandsOn Tech’s project survey within 30 days of success.
- Initial information gathering
- Proposed solution discussion
- Data migration meeting
- Final hand-off and documentation walk through
- NOTE: If both parties agree, this project may be executed virtually via videoconference.
- At least 1 year of experience building data-driven applications including database schema design, understanding of triggers and writing code.
- Proficiency with databases and at least one programming language preferrably C, C#, C++, Java, Ruby, .
- A database to merge into Salesforce.
- Work in advance to ready for migration including merging spreadsheets and removing duplicates.
- A list of reports to be designed.
- A Salesforce account (or the paperwork to get one).